Saturday, January 12, 2008

Bike Ride (with Black Vultures)

I was on a bike ride near Lake Walter E. Long Lake (aka Decker Lake) when we came upon about twenty Black Vultures. They were soaring overhead, sitting in the trees, and standing and fighting in the road. I guessed there was some roadkill attracting them. I didn't see anything, but the friend I was riding with said that he saw two birds fighting over some meat. As we rode by, many of the birds flew away.

Half an hour later when we rode past the same spot, some of the birds were still there, but not nearly as many. Where had they gone?

As we rode along, we saw black vultures scattered in the surrounding trees. About two miles further on, a small dead tree leaned over the road, weighted down with about ten vultures in it. Most flew away as we approached. However, two of the birds seemed to be staring each other down, ready to fight.

As I was almost under the tree, one vulture pecked the other and caused his opponent to fly away. The fleeing bird swooped down toward the road, with the second in hot pursuit. Not wanting to be hit, I swerved into the lane away from the tree. Luckily, there was no traffic on the road.

I didn't want those big birds to crash into me, and I didn't want to be mixed up with their fight--or with anything they might drop on my head!

No comments: